Rundle Mall turns 40
Champagne flowed from Rundle Mall’s fountain to mark the official opening of the pedestrian mall by then Premier Don Dunstan, which 10,000 people attended.
“When architect Ian Hannaford first started sketching ideas for the Mall and the first of the 580,000 bricks were laid, who would have thought just how much of a loved public space that it would become and how many memories it would create,” said Amanda Grocock, GM, Rundle Mall Management Authority.
“While the occasion prompts us to look back and celebrate the history of one of the state’s most iconic public spaces and prosperous retail hubs, we’re also taking the opportunity to look forward into the precinct’s next exciting chapter.”
Several major projects have recently been announced, including the $7.85 million redevelopment of Gawler Place and a $50 million tram extension along North Terrace.
“While the redeveloped mall is already an exciting place to meet, trade, invest, shop, learn and visit, these new projects present us with a fantastic opportunity to attract more customers than ever before, and increase activation and investment in the precinct,” said Grocock.
Historic events that shaped Rundle Mall
• On February 20, 1974, the Minister of Transport (Geoff Virgo) announced in Parliament that agreement had been reached on the conversion of Rundle Street to a pedestrian mall
• In January 1976, the first of 580,000 bricks were laid creating the mall
• On September 1, 1976, then Premier Don Dunstan officially opened Rundle Mall at a public event attended by more than 10,000 people
• Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II visited Rundle Mall with Prince Phillip on March 23, 1977, as part of South Australia’s Jubilee Year
• The ‘Sphere’ sculpture commonly known as the ‘Mall’s Balls’ by Bert Flugelman was unveiled on October 5, 1977
• On July 5, 1984, 25,000 fans turned out to welcome British pop star sensation Boy George and his group Culture Club
• In 1999, music legend Tony Bennett appeared in the Myer Centre
• In July 2012, a $30 million redevelopment of the mall is announced
Access exclusive analysis, locked news and reports with Inside Retail Weekly. Subscribe today and get our premium print publication delivered to your door every week.
Take a peek inside The Holiday Lab, Luxury Escapes' latest pop-up, which aims to cure people's post-vacay blues… https://t.co/y3gmsfcMoT6 hours ago