Revealed at a launch party in Melbourne on Wednesday evening, the Top 50 report celebrates the biggest and brightest talents in Australia’s e-commerce industry.
The list includes heads of e-commerce at major corporations, such as Shane Lenton, CIO at Cue Clothing Co, Paula Mitchell, group GM of digital at General Pants Co, and Peter Ratcliffe, head of digital at Retail Apparel Group, as well as founder/CEOs of online-only businesses, including Jane Lu of Showpo, Jen Geale of MTB Direct and Justin Dry of Vinomofo.
Teperson topped this year’s list after ranking 10th in 2017 and 12th in 2018. Through his leadership, Accent Group’s online sales nearly doubled in FY19, and the company invested heavily into its backend infrastructure to enable faster delivery of online orders through click-and-collect and in-store fulfilment. The shoe conglomerate also launched a new online marketplace, Crèmm, in November last year.
“Mark’s commitment to omnichannel retail is not the kind of work that usually makes headlines. But his push for a digital hub, so teams don’t sit in silos, and investment in inventory allocation have been key to Accent Group’s seemingly overnight transformation into a digital darling,” said Internet Retailing editor Heather McIlvaine.
“His recognition as one of Australia’s e-commerce leaders is well deserved.”
The full list of this year’s Top 50 People in E-Commerce can be seen below. The report with headshots, bios and comments for each of the Top 50 can be downloaded for free here.
How were the Top 50 selected?
More than 100 nominees submitted an application to be considered for Internet Retailing’s Top 50 People in E-Commerce 2020. To be eligible, the candidates needed to work at an Australian e-commerce business or marketplace. Vendors were not eligible.
The judges scored each candidate in four areas: contribution to the commercial success of the business, knowledge sharing with the industry, innovation within the business and positive impact on the broader community over the past 12 months.
Each judge was randomly assigned 50 applications to score according to a rubric, and each application was read by five judges. The candidates’ total scores determined their final ranking.
This year, for the first time, we had two sets of candidates who received the exact same score. Rather than resorting to an arbitrary tie-breaker, we decided they should share the ranking, which is why you will see two 14s and two 43s.
Top 50 People in E-Commerce 2020
1. Mark Teperson, Chief digital officer, Accent Group
2. Julie Mathers, Founder/CEO, Flora & Fauna
3. Jane Lu, Founder/CEO, Showpo
4. Shane Lenton, CIO, Cue Clothing Co
5. John Winning, CEO, Winning Group
6. Tracey Bailey, Founder/CEO, Biome
7. Sandradee Makejev, Founder/director, St Frock
8. Wayne Baskin, CTO/deputy CEO, Booktopia
9. Kate Morris, Founder/CEO, Adore Beauty
10. Fiona Moylan, Global director of digital, data and e-commerce, Jurlique
11. Travis Wright, GM, Esther & Co
12. Danielle Holloway, Founder/CEO, Merry People
13. Tony Nash, CEO, Booktopia
14. Jen Geale, Co-founder/GM, MTB Direct
14. Katharina Kuehn, Chief strategy officer, Winning Group
16. Michael Gillespie, Group chief digital and technology officer, Domino’s Pizza Enterprises
17. Lynna Barrett, Head of e-commerce, Dan Murphy’s (former CMO, National Tiles)
18. Paula Mitchell, Chief digital officer, General Pants Co
19. Paul Waddy, CEO, The Horse
20. Dan Ferguson, CMO, Adore Beauty
21. James Bartle, Founding CEO, Outland Denim
22. Jane Cay, Founder/CEO, Birdsnest
23. Albert Mai, Director of growth, Tinybeans (former head of growth, GlamCorner)
24. Rachel Tigel, Senior e-commerce manager, Forever New
25. Nati Harpaz, CEO, Catch Group
26. Brendan Gillen, E-commerce manager, Superdry
27. Audrey Khaing-Jones, Co-founder/COO, GlamCorner
28. Kristian Haigh, Senior director B2C/commercial partnerships, eBay ANZ
29. Justin Gaggino, 2IC, HiSmile
30. Lina Calabria, Co-founder/COO, Bellroy
31. Julia Adams, Head of e-commerce, Under Armour ANZ
32. Nicola Clement, Head of digital experience, Myer
33. Liam Scanlan, Founder/director, Eat Your Water
34. David Anderson, Co-founder/CEO, Big Red Group
35. Tom Abraham, COO, Flora & Fauna
36. Peter Ratcliffe, Head of digital technology and innovation, Retail Apparel Group
37. Michael Doyle, Head of consumer marketing (former head of marketing, City Beach)
38. Justin Dry, Founder/CEO, Vinomofo
39. Adam McWhinney, Co-founder/CXO, Temple & Webster
40. Anna Samkova, Group GM for digital, PAS Group
41. Caroline Swarbrick, Chief digital officer, Seafolly
42. Tim Mackinnon, MD, eBay ANZ
43. Darren John Aquilina, Chief marketing and operations officer, St Frock
43. James Domensino, E-commerce and digital manager, Camilla
45. Vince Lebon, Founder/CEO, Rollies Nation
46. Brad Foenander, Head of e-commerce, Coles
47. Alyce Tran, Co-founder/director, The Daily Edited
48. Suzanne Carroll, Founder, Cool Clutch
49. Sami Gilroy, Digital strategy manager, Spell & The Gypsy Collective
50. Nathan Huppatz, Co-founder, Costumes.com.au
This story first appeared on sister site, Internet Retailing.