Coronavirus closes 12 Victorian McDonald’s
Twelve McDonald’s outlets have been closed in Victoria due to a coronavirus-infected truck driver, while the state has announced $2.7 billion to help revive the economy.
The fast-food outlets will be shut and deep-cleaned after the driver made deliveries while he was asymptomatic and unaware he had COVID-19.
The chain says no employee has tested positive in connection to the driver and customers are not at risk.
“Out of an abundance of caution, we have made the decision to close and conduct a deep clean of 12 restaurants in Victoria, following confirmation a truck driver for an external service provider has tested positive for COVID-19,” McDonald’s said in a statement.
“Potential close contacts and employees who have worked specific shifts during and after the truck driver’s delivery have been instructed not to return to work for 14 days and advised to be tested.”
The Department of Health confirmed the driver was an extended family member of a worker at Fawkner McDonald’s, where a cluster emerged on May 9.
So far 11 cases have been linked to the cluster, including four staff and seven close contacts.
The site reopened on Wednesday with workers from elsewhere after it had been closed for five days for deep cleaning.
Among the close contacts of the Fawkner staff is a worker at the McDonald’s in Craigieburn, with that store also closed on Friday for cleaning.
Victorian deputy chief health officer Dr Annaliese van Diemen said McDonald’s workers who have been asked to stay at home won’t be returning until they have had a negative COVID-19 test.
“We worked very closely with McDonald’s and they have taken all steps required by us, and then some, and they’ve done a very extensive investigation very quickly,” she told reporters on Monday.
The closure comes as Victoria tries to start reopening its economy and recorded six new cases, taking the tally to 1567 infections.
Premier Daniel Andrews on Mo nday announced $2.7 billion for building projects to help the jobs revival.
The money includes $1.18 billion for schools infrastructure and other cash for road maintenance, train station upgrades and refurbishment to public housing.
“Hundreds and hundreds of projects delivering thousands and thousands of jobs – that’s exactly what we need right at this time,” Andrews said.
Meanwhile, the Cedar Meats abattoir at the centre of a major coronavirus outbreak in Melbourne’s west has restarted its cold storage facility on Monday with 15-to-20 staff cleared by the health department.
Domino’s Pizza Enterprises confirmed late on Sunday it was notified on Friday a worker at its Fairfield store had tested positive to COVID-19.
The store was immediately shut and will remain closed for at least 14 days while a deep clean is undertaken and staff and their families were advised to self-isolate and get tested.
MCDONALD’S CLOSED IN MELBOURNE:
* M elton East
* Laverton North
* Taylors Lakes
* Hoppers Crossing
* Riverdale Village
* Calder Highway Northbound/Outbound
* Calder Highway Southbound/Inbound
* BP Rockbank Service Centre Outbound
The conversion of Target stores to Kmarts has begun. At the end of July, Kmart unveiled a new format - K Hub - on t… https://t.co/kzvBhsGdhX18 hours ago