Imported tuna poisons four
Health authorities have been called in to investigate the source of the suspected contaminated tuna after four people showed symptoms of Scombroid poisoning.
The customers had ordered tuna salad from Soul Origin near Town Hall station, News Ltd has reported.
The South Eastern Sydney Local Health District said the fish may not have been stored correctly.
The cafe, which insists it meets the highest hygiene standards, has changed its brand of tuna since the customers fell ill, Network Seven reports.
The cafe’s customers suffered symptoms including skin rashes, dizziness, tingling in the mouth, and nausea after eating the salad on Monday.
Scombroid was linked to the death last year of Queensland mother and daughter Noelene and Yvana Bischoff, just hours after they ate contaminated fish at a restaurant in Bali.
The Sydney cafe episode follows a Hepatitis A scare involving frozen berries imported from China.
Eighteen people have so far been diagnosed with hepatitis A linked to the berries, a week after a nationwide recall was issued for a range of products.
AUSVEG CEO, Richard Mulcahy, said more tuna products sold in Australia should be sourced locally.
“We’ve got a big tuna industry in South Australia,” he told Fairfax radio.
“Possibly some of these manufacturers who haven’t been very supportive of what we’re doing are just looking at the bottom line and saying well, we can buy it from Asia, it’s cheaper.”
Australian Fashion Council CEO Leila Naja Hibri makes the case for leaning into the disruption and turning it into… https://t.co/n5AUyWZddD5 hours ago
The ACCC is allowing shopping centres to share tenant information to facilitate the quick rollout of rent relief.… https://t.co/ULb5sbGmXf18 hours ago